The January transfer window may seem like a distant memory, but that doesn’t mean the rumour mill has shut down! Speculation over summer moves is heating up so check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Hazard’s future rests on Mbappe’s decision
Kylian Mbappe‘s future may be resolved soon amid continued links with Real Madrid, which could ultimately spell the end of Eden Hazard‘s time at the club.
According to Marca, Paris Saint-Germain have demanded that Mbappe clarify his intentions before the Champions League second leg tie against Barcelona on March 10.
If Mbappe does wish to join Los Blancos, then AS suggests that could finish Hazard’s time at the Bernabeu, with the Belgian having struggled since joining from Chelsea.
Injuries and lack of form have contributed to Hazard scoring just four goals in 35 appearances in all competitions for Madrid, while Mbappe continues to make waves after his hat trick at the Camp Nou in the first leg win against Barca.
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– ESPN+ viewer’s guide: Bundesliga, Serie A, MLS, FA Cup and more
Julien Laurens puts Eden Hazard’s latest injury into context for Real Madrid.
19.45 GMT: German outlet Sport 1 reports that Chelsea are preparing to back Thomas Tuchel to the tune of a €260m summer spending spree, with a pair of Borussia Dortmund starlets atop their wish list: Erling Haaland and Jadon Sancho. The Blues are said to be more interested in the Norway striker, and should they succeed in their courtship of the 20-year-old, then they would in all likelihood end their interest in Sancho.
17.15 GMT: Eurosport reckons Manchester United are eyeing up a move for Villarreal defender Pau Torres.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was tracking Jules Kounde of Sevilla, but United aren’t prepared to pay his £68m release clause. That means attention has turned to Torres, who has a release clause of £43m
16.33 GMT: Could Raphael Varane be sold by Real Madrid at the end of the season? Diario AS reports that Los Blancos could be forced to sell the defender in the summer window, as he enters the last 12 months of his contract.
The Spanish giants cannot afford to lose the France international for free, and there is no sign of an agreement over a new deal.
15.50 GMT: Martin Odegaard is starting to find his form at Arsenal, who he joined on loan from Real Madrid in the winter window. There had been speculation that the Gunners would try to make the move permanent in the summer, but Marca says there is no chance of that.
The report states that Odegaard is viewed as the future at the Bernabeu, despite failing to dislodge Casemiro, Toni Kroos and Luka Modric from the Madrid midfield. The 22-year-old is expected back in Spain in the summer.
15.05 GMT: There was a time when Lautaro Martinez leaving Inter Milan to join Barcelona seemed a mere formality. However, then came along coronavirus to blow a hole in Barca’s finances, and now Lautaro is very much committed to Inter.
The striker’s contract is due to expire in two years time, but he has told Gazzetta dello Sport that an extension is all agreed and awaiting an official announcement.
“It’s true, I was in negotiations with Barcelona,” Lautaro said. “However, it all belongs to the past, I am going to sign a contract extension with Inter.
“I don’t know when there will be an official announcement. My future is here, I see myself in Milan for long time. I like everything about this city. The food, the fans, the team. I only have positive feelings.”
14.16 GMT: Manchester United are keen to wait until Edinson Cavani has recovered from injury before making a decision about his future, sources told ESPN.
United are happy with Cavani’s impact since arriving on a free transfer from Paris Saint-Germain, and would need to pay the striker close to €2m if the club decide against keeping him for a second season. Both sides have the option to terminate the deal in the summer but a penalty fee will apply if United, who also have Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood as options in attack, are the ones to pull the plug.
13.29 GMT: We’ve already heard how Udinese midfielder Rodrigo De Paul could be on Liverpool‘s shopping list, and we now hear Bild has suggested Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Florian Neuhaus is also interesting Reds boss Jurgen Klopp.
Neuhaus has previously been linked with Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, but it seems unlikely either will be able to afford to pay the £35m Gladbach are demanding.
12.40 GMT: Hector Bellerin could leave Arsenal this summer as part of an agreement with manager Mikel Arteta, sources have told ESPN.
The 25-year-old wanted to quit the Gunners at the end of last season when Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona emerged as serious options, but stayed following heart-to-heart talks with Arteta, whom he has a close relationship with from their playing days at the club.
11.52 GMT: It’s fair to say Willian has struggled to win over the Arsenal fans since joining the club on a free transfer last summer. And it won’t help that he now says he would rather be at Chelsea.
“I didn’t leave the club with a fight, I left the doors open,” Willian said. “Everyone knew the conditions, I really wanted to stay.
“We ended up not finding an agreement, I ended up asking for three years, Chelsea wanted to give two, and everyone knows this story. That’s why I ended up leaving.’
11.06 GMT: The Daily Express reports that Liverpool are ready to start planning their summer transfer business, with Udinese midfielder Rodrigo De Paul top of the wanted list. The 26-year-old, who was strongly linked with Leeds United at the start of the season, is available for around £25m.
The Argentina international, who is also wanted by Inter Milan, is seen as a replacement for Georginio Wijnaldum, who will be out of contract at the end of the campaign and could join Barcelona.
10.19 GMT: Clubs interested in Borussia Dortmund stars such as Erling Haaland and Jadon Sancho may be encouraged by an interview with the club’s CEO, Hans-Joachim Watzke. He has warned that the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic could mean a player will have to be sold in the summer.
“In the midst of a pandemic, I am now ruling nothing out,” Watzke told Handelsblatt. “But it is not necessarily the aim. The most important thing is the financial balance: that we have a strong team on the field and at the same time are economically stable.
“If we play the whole of next season without spectators, we must certainly think about giving up a player. Asking banks for credit lines just to not sell a player is not going to be our way.
“We are still unable to make a forecast for the year as a whole. As long as the situation persists, we will not be in the black. Our liabilities are currently at €26.7m. This shows that BVB has great economic strength and is very stable.”
09.30 GMT: Will Harry Kane look to leave Tottenham Hotspur in the summer in search of silverware? The Daily Telegraph reports the England skipper will not move away just yet and will stay with Spurs at least one more season.
But will it be truly his own decision? The report says that the reality is that Europe’s biggest clubs will be unable to afford bumper fees, and that could rule out any transfer. Kane is under contract until the summer of 2024.
Norwich’s Aarons eyed by Everton
Everton are working on a deal to sign Norwich City right-back Max Aarons, as reported by Fabrizio Romano.
The journalist claims the Toffees are keen to bring in the Englishman, while Manchester United have been scouting him and will decide whether to make a move in the coming months.
There has been plenty of other interest in the 21-year-old in recent windows, with Barcelona and Bayern Munich among those linked. However, Barcelona signed Sergino Dest from Ajax and Bayern decided against spending €35m on Aarons.
– AC Milan will work to renew Brahim Diaz‘s loan from Real Madrid to keep him at the club past this campaign, reports Calciomercato. The Serie A side are prioritising Hakan Calhanoglu and Gianluigi Donnarumma, with both of their contracts coming to an end in the summer. However, once those are sorted, Milan will look to use their good relationship with Madrid to keep the 21-year-old Spaniard for an extra season.
– Atlanta United FC vice president Carlos Bocanegra has suggested that the club will “be looking to add one or two more” players. His statements follow reports linking the Five Stripes with centre-back Lautaro Giannetti, who has spent his entire career with Valez Sarsfield, the previous club of new Atlanta manager Gabriel Heinze.
– Andre-Pierre Gignac has signed a three-year extension with Mexican powerhouse Tigres UANL, the club announced on Friday. The French striker recently led Tigres to a CONCACAF Champions League title and an appearance at the Club World Cup, where they lost to Bayern Munich in the final. Gignac, 35, has become an icon since moving to Mexico in 2015 and is Tigres’ all-time leading scorer.